Categorically Modern

home projects, ponderings and happenings in beacon hill seattle.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

fences part four; first phase

So I tried to reuse the wood from the old fence in my first attempt at building this thing.  That didn't work out so hot.


From the front corner of the lot.  Not so intrusive.

Here is its, obviously with the old wood mixed in and the new wood is pretty in your face.  I took this picture after finishing the planter box. It took me an hour of digging to fill part of the box with dirt and then 12 bags of topsoil.  Crazy big. It is 3' deep in the front and it extends under the fence another foot.  I plan on putting ornamental screening plants in the front and veggies in the back portion.

From across the street. You can really see the mix of the two woods and how that doesn't quite work.  At least I tried to upcycle the wood.  I ended up giving it up to the sweet guy across the street. Can't wait to see what he does with it.

You can see where the fence was as it ran along the edge of the concrete.  The side yard is now pretty huge.  I took this at the end of the day.  This was last weekend.  This weekend I changed out the wood on the fence and added the top 'trellis' and stained it.  I have to get out there tomorrow and finish staining it and then I will take some pictures to share.  I stained it the same color as the wood that covers the eaves.  I need to take pictures of the eaves because that is one of the features that sold us on the house. 
Hopefully more pictures of the 'final' product in the next day or two.  I have plans to add a bit more to the fence in the future but not sure it will be right away.  I got inspired by the James Hotel in NewYork which I saw on Remodelista just recently. Here is a hint at the look I am going for.


I think the pictures above are not exactly what will happen but it has the feeling of what I want. More to come soon. Thanks for reading and thanks for Casey for sharing the cool images attached from the James Hotel!

1 comment:

  1. A high quality fence is a good way to make your property more secure, more private, and even increase the value of your home.

    Privacy Fence

    ReplyDelete