Categorically Modern

home projects, ponderings and happenings in beacon hill seattle.

Monday, April 25, 2011

fences part five; pretty much done!

Well, it was a back breaking 3 weekend project but it is pretty much at a stopping point until better weather shows up in Seattle.  The sun will peak for about 30 minutes, long enough for me to peek out the door with a bucket of nails and a pail of stain and then rain clouds roll in.  Such is PacNW existence. Let me know what you guys think!

Somehow, everything fit in a Ford Focus.  It took a few trips, but it was my little pickup!


From the inside of the side yard, turned private yard!  The dimensions changed from the original drawings so that I could punch fewer holes into the concrete.  The way we built it there were only 3 posts that had to be set into the concrete.  The wood is all Western Red Cedar which would have grayed out naturally, but since the last fence was gray and didn't look so sharp, I took the chance in staining.  The stain is a medium brown which matches the eaves of the house.  I need to take some nice pictures of the eaves because they are so beautiful.
 I love that the Japanese Maple is now on this side along with the rocks.  They look great.  Now we are going to work on some of the planting around the fence and restore some grass where you see the gravel in the foreground.
 From across the street.  Really looks great.  The guy walking the dog to the right stopped me to tell me how much he liked the end result.  Honestly, there is more finishing work to do (which is easy to miss from this angle, but I am pretty proud of this).
Still looks good close up! Ha.  If you see to the far right, my neighbor next door also got the bug to build a fence.  He put this fence up last weekend, and it went a lot quicker than mine, but then again, he had a post digger, no concrete and a pretty simple design.  He also had a huge van that come carry all the supplies in one trip.  I went over to introduce myself to him when we were both working on the fence last Sunday but found out he doesn't know any English.  I guess we will communicate with smiling, as he seems nice enough.

4 comments:

  1. looks so good! maybe you can come to my house now...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Love the stain choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bestest SisterApril 28, 2011

    I like the stain choice, I don't know about the open slats. It looks like you ran out of wood and spread them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I ran out of money Bestest. I will also run out of money when you come to eat at a cookout and will have just enough burgers to go around to everybody else! Ha

    ReplyDelete