Categorically Modern

home projects, ponderings and happenings in beacon hill seattle.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

fences part three; the design

So, after some debate, here is the basic design we came up with.  We took a bit of all the great design elements from each fence and threw them into a blender and here is what it looks like.

I hope the drawing shows up online since it is sketched on white paper......oh well. Ha. So I didn't want the fence to seem overwhelming in the yard.  I am a big fan of blending in with the neighborhood and not being so closed off.  This fence has some visibility through it and is also the perfect support for growing vines! (Now I need to figure out what plantings work in Seattle)

So I also decided to make the fence into a step forward pattern from the house to minimize it's presense. The front two panels of the fence will be up against the side walk while the rest are firmly in the side yard. Also, along the first three or four panels closest to the house, we have the existing driveway to deal with.  This starts the debate of rip up the concrete, all of it, or do we somehow work with the concrete.  Huge debate with the boyfriend. I don't think either of us feels like it will be too easy ripping everything up and disposing of it. 

The fence as it is drawn takes into account the driveway and all we have to do is punch three holes in the concrete to put posts into the found.  Not too bad (we think!).  Time will tell.  Now it is time to measure more fully, price the materials and fine tune the design!  Not sure my back is going to make it through this one. (In fact, since I writing this post after the fact, I can tell you it actually doesnt make it all the way through in tip top shape.  Meh!)

1 comment: