Categorically Modern

home projects, ponderings and happenings in beacon hill seattle.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Shut the Front Door



So my mom and sister were on the way for a visit and I had a few minutes to do some extra cleaning around the house for their first visit.  What to do?  I had recently been thinking about the front door, so why not lightly sand the door and add some oil to make it look nice and rich!(after all I now have an orbital sander since I had to do the kitchen cabinets)  The 60 year old door didn't look that great since it had white paint marks and lots of deep gouges, but a light sand and oil would certainly help, right? Ha

What I didn't know was that my solid wood door, was only a slight veneer of wood over a plywood door! I didn't realize that the door would have been so delicate.  Grrr. I exposed the plywood underneath with a slight sanding and now it looked bad right before a visit.  Take a look.
Tools of the crime
Mid Sand where I realized that it was not all wood!
I applied the oil to the door and now you can really see the plywood starting to come through especially down on the bottom left.

Closeup of the Yuckiness

Well, only one solution until I learn how to re-veneer a door!


SOOOOOOOO, I filled the holes, sanded, filled, sanded, and sanded again, and then put on about 5 coats of paint.  I feel it is a bit Kelly Wearstler Palm Springs Modern.  The color is pretty cool, but definitely I want my wood back.  Oh well.  Good for now.  Still love the brass hardware!  Be warned of starting new projects without knowing what you are working with.

No comments:

Post a Comment