Categorically Modern

home projects, ponderings and happenings in beacon hill seattle.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Long Break, but now I am back

So it has been a busy summer.  Work, trip to Italy, getting married, pre-adoption meetings.  Geeze.  Thought I would quickly post my latest project before I catch up with all my recent exploits. 

Bob and I went to Ikea to start planning what we would like to see in both a guest room and our baby room(exciting) and we stumbled on a good thought for our desk!  We put a small desk in our living room so we can put our I-Mac there and watch some TV every once in a while on Hulu.   We have been looking at lots of options for desks and here is what inspired us for awhile and we just weren't sure what to do.

Life Magazine
 So I really liked this one I stumbled on when I Googled Wall Mounted Desks.  I really like this look and it would look great in our mid-century home.  I didn't see anything like this on Ebay, and certainly not in any vintage stores.  I assumed I would have to build this, and I don't think I have the skill set for this quite yet. Ha. The next image I found in the NYTimes.

I will have to go back and check out whose house this is, but I really loved the desk.  There is definitely something to hanging a desk in a public area and then be able to close it off.  I love all the wood and the beautiful hardware that allows the writing surface.  I had a friend give me a quick quote for a simple hanging surface in our living room, but the cost was still around $400 for something quite simple and clean.  Then we stumbled on this at Ikea!


 This is supposed to be for DVD storage, but really! It could be so much more.  I am surprised they dont take it one step further.
The price really made me want to make this work.  It is the same gloss white lacquer that we want to use on our kitchen cabinets when we can afford that step. I googled the Besta Burs to see if anyone had the same idea, and sure enough, Ikea Hacker had already discovered the potential.

So Monday rolled around and here we go.  Of course after I bought the cabinet I realized I had plaster walls, ugh!
So this is the way it looked. Ha.  The old desk will finally be out of here.  I found this in a parking garage for free, so I will probably find a new home for this one. Since we have the plaster, I called our install guys who did a great job on the install!

Now we just need to figure out the cord situation.  One thing at a time for now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment